16th July - Getting back on Zano

Well, I’ve started riding Zano again! It feels amazing to be back in the saddle, even if it’s only really to sit up there for a few minutes at a time until he gets a bit stronger and confident with me being back on top, rather than next to his head!

I did try to ride him over some straight poles – for some reason that caused Zano great excitement and I think he felt a bit confused hearing my voice coming from up somewhere on high. I think he found it quite difficult to adjust to carrying me over the poles; that’s something that will get easier for him the stronger he gets. I didn’t want to do too much riding before Kay the saddler came back to check him. He’s got so much bigger that I needed to be sure that the saddle wasn’t pinching him at all.

Also, Jo Spear the physiotherapist suggested that I get a ‘prolite’. This is a really thick pad that goes under the saddle. It can have extra padding at the front or back, and it makes sure that the horse is comfy with his saddle. Kay was amazed at Zano’s transformation. Last time she saw him he still had quite a visible spine, but now that’s all covered up as he’s put on weight. In fact, his girth has got bigger by a huge 6cms!

Kay watched me riding him in the saddle without a numnah first then decided that his prolite should have extra pads at the back. This is because Zano’s got quite high withers, so padding in the back helps to make sure the saddle stays level, rather than tips back. All I needed to do next was get a new numnah to go underneath and I chose team Zano colours – purple!

No comments:

Post a Comment