30th July - Birthday celebrations

It was my birthday this week and everyone at the yard was amazing – I got cards, cakes and pressies, even though I’d tried to keep it quiet! Just after my birthday Jo came to give me and Zano our first lesson and she taught Megan on the lovely Chico, too. Jo came with me when I tried Zano, and she hasn’t seen him since, so it was lovely to see her reaction when we went to see him in the field before I brought him in. He’s such a handsome chap and he loves having attention! Here he is, soaking up all the admiration! Who wouldn’t be impressed?
Jo started off by watching me lunge Zano, giving me loads of really helpful pointers, and then I had a fifteen minute lesson. Jo’s advice is to ride Zano ‘long and low’ to begin with to make sure that he develops all his muscles along his ‘top line’ (from his poll all the way along his back to his tail!) in the right way. He behaved himself very nicely and we’ve booked our next lesson already!

I’m sure that Zano is quite bright. He seems to know when I’m about to come and bring him in from the field, because he always decides to have a lie down two minutes before I appear with the headcollar! I’m a complete softie and I don’t like disturbing his beauty sleep. Instead I tend to wait and have a cup of tea until he’s ready to wake up! But yesterday I went to see him and sat next to him for a while, stroking his face and ears as he rested his chin on the grass and snored. It was a very peaceful and calming five minutes!

I’m still taking Zano over his poles to make sure that he’s using himself well and to keep him relaxed in the school. He’s so funny over them now though, he’s a real show off and hardly needs me next to him because he knows the routine so well. Jo, his physiotherapist, would be proud. She’s volunteering at the Olympic Games with the equestrian team for the next couple of weeks. She’s amazing at her job, so all I can say is that any horses who are worked on by her are very, very lucky! Good luck & have fun, Jo!

No comments:

Post a Comment